- 1 (1-pound) cod fillet
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Fish in a Flash: Pour water to a depth of 2 inches into a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add fish, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat. and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon; cool slightly. Flake into bite-size pieces.
Sauté shallots in butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until tender; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in whipping cream and next 6 ingredients.
Add fish; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Serve in a chafing dish; garnish, if desired. Serve warm.
Note: Double recipe to fill chafing dish.