Very plain bread, but the melted butter topping lent a nice crispiness to it! I don't understand the issue of the butter having to be chilled when preparing. It took forever to get the lumps creamed in with the brown sugar. Next time I make this, I will let butter soften. As other reviewers mentioned, I too did not taste enough rum---will add a little more next time I make this.
Hot Buttered Rum Quick Bread
For the prettiest loaf, make sure the butter is chilled when beaten into the batter. You can use gold rum in place of dark, if you wish.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 164
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 26.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 243mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (1 1/4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed banana (about 1 banana)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Lightly coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon 1 cup all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg; stir with a whisk to combine.
- Combine sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add egg substitute; beat until combined. Beat in banana, rum, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan with a spatula; smooth top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes; gently remove from oven, and drizzle top with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hot Buttered Rum Quick Bread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breads