Hot Browns with Fried Cheese Grits
- 1 cup regular grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound roasted turkey slices
- Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 bacon slices
- Prepare 1 cup regular grits according to package directions. Stir in 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese until melted. Pour hot cooked grits into a greased 9-inch square pan. Cover and chill 8 hours or until firm. Invert onto a cutting board, and cut into 4 squares. Cut each square into 4 triangles. Fry grits, in batches, in 2 tablespoons hot vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from pan, and set aside. Cook 2 large diced sweet onions and 1 tablespoon sugar in 2 tablespoons hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat, stirring costantly, 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Arrange 4 grits triangles in a single layer in a lightly greased individual baking dish; top with turkey, sautèed onion, and Cheese Sauce. Repeat with remaining grits triangles, turkey, onion, and Cheese Sauce.
- Broil 6 inches from heat 4 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned; remove from oven. Top evenly with bacon and tomato. Serve immediately
- Note: A lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan may be substituted for individual baking dishes. Arrange triangles evenly in bottom of pan. Top evenly with turkey, onion, and Cheese Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note