Ive made this 3 times now over the years...my husband and son love it! It is appropriate for everyday meals. It has everything they love: hot, saucy(sometimes I double the sauce), quick prep, and tasty. Sometimes I serve this alone, other times with a salad.
Hot Brown Sandwiches
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
In 1923, this Louisville classic was created by Chef Fred Schmidt at the Brown Hotel. Rotisserie chicken breast makes a fine substitute for turkey.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 353
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 29.7g
- Carbohydrate: 31.7g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 764mg
- Calcium: 260mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Marsala or cream sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Remaining ingredients:
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm), toasted and cut in half diagonally
- 3/4 pound shredded cooked turkey breast
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add flour, stirring with a whisk; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cheddar and next 7 ingredients (through red pepper), stirring until cheeses melt. Remove from heat.
- Arrange 2 toast halves in the bottom of each of 6 gratin dishes or ovenproof plates. Arrange 2 ounces turkey over each serving. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup sauce, 2 tomato slices, and 1 teaspoon Parmesan. Broil for 2 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note