Hot Beef and Wilted Watercress Salad
Notes: Serve this main-dish salad with hot cooked rice.
Yield: Makes 2 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 562mg
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- 8 ounces watercress (2 qt.)
- 8 ounces fat-trimmed beef sirloin, about 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1. Rinse watercress and drain well. Pick tender sprigs from tough stems and cut into 3- to 4-inch lengths (you should have about 6 cups sprigs); reserve stems for another use or discard. Arrange watercress sprigs in a shallow bowl or on a rimmed serving plate.
- 2. Rinse beef and pat dry; trim and discard excess fat. Cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices about 3 inches long.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper.
- 4. Set a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat. When hot, add 1 teaspoon oil and tilt pan to coat bottom. Add onion and stir until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Pour onto watercress.
- 5. Return pan to high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil and the beef and garlic; stir often until beef is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add lime- juice mixture and stir until it boils. Pour from pan over onions and watercress. At the table, mix gently before serving. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note