Next time I will use the whole package of pepperoni. I used the turkey pepperoni so this was low calorie too. I couldn't find Mexican stewed tomatoes so I used reg and threw in a can of green chili's drained. Next time I might add another can of tomatoes and a second jalapeno to make it more spicy. This was pretty tame for us but we like spicy. I served with sauteed cauliflower.
Hot-and-Spicy Black-Eyed Peas
Bake Buttermilk Cornbread after adding rice to the slow cooker.
More From Southern Living
Soak: 8 Hours
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 (3-ounce) package pepperoni slices, diced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick rice
- Place peas in a 5-quart slow cooker. Cover with water 2 inches above peas; let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Combine peas and next 8 ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook at LOW 8 hours. Stir in tomatoes and rice; cook, covered, 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note