Hot and Sour Mushroom and Barley Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 whole(s) onion finely chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger minced
- 8 ounce(s) packaged mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 cup(s) pearl barley
- 14 ounce(s) beef broth
- 3 head(s) bok choy sliced
- 1 whole(s) lime juiced
- 1/2 cup(s) cliantro chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and plenty of pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if the mushrooms begin to stick to the bottom of the pan, until their liquid is released, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute, then stir in the beef broth and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the barley is tender, 30 to 40 minutes; add the bok choy for the last 10 minutes of cooking—it should be crisp-tender. Season with the lime juice to taste, 1 tablespoon at a time. Ladle into bowls and top with the cilantro.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by phenix and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hot and Sour Mushroom and Barley Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews