We loved this! I made it without the tomatoes because my daughter is a little fussy (she's four), but added a can of fire roasted chilies. I might make the grits again just as a side, as well! Edit 09Sept12: The link for the grits seems to be dead, so just in case, here is the recipe as it was formerly posted. 2 cup Chicken Broth 2T Butter 1/2 cup Quick Cook Grits 1 Cup / 4 oz White Cheddar Cheese, shredded Bring broth and butter to a boil over med-high heat. Whisk in grits. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 min stirring occaisionally. Stir in cheese until melted.
Hoppin' John Stew With White Cheddar Cheese Grits
A tasty alternative to chili, this hearty, updated twist is served with creamy, quick-cooking grits instead of rice.
More From Southern Living
Total: 48 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- White Cheddar Cheese Grits
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add ham and onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in black-eyed peas and next 3 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro. Serve immediately over White Cheddar Cheese Grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note