Hoppin' John Stew
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours, 20 Minutes
- Smoky sausage plays a starring role in this hearty black-eyed pea stew.
- 4 (15.8-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 (14-oz.) can beef broth
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 family-size package boil-in-bag rice, uncooked (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
- 1. Combine all ingredients except rice in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on Low 6 hours. Cut top off boil-in-bag rice; pour rice into slow cooker, and discard bag. Stir.
- 3. Cover and cook on High 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Add quick-cooking boil-in-bag rice during the last 20 minutes to keep the rice tender and prevent overcooking.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note