Fantastic! Gets better with time.
Hoppin' John Soup
Bestow good luck on New Year's Day with bowls of Hoppin' John Soup. Smoky flavor shoots through this good-for-you soup of peas and collards.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 2 pounds smoked turkey wings
- 1/3 cup finely chopped country ham
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package fresh collard greens, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Hot cooked brown rice
- Cornbread Croutons
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Bring peas, turkey wings, and 6 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 45 minutes or until peas are tender, skimming any foam from surface. Drain peas, reserving 1 1/4 cups liquid. Remove turkey meat from bones. Chop meat.
- 2. Sauté ham and next 7 ingredients in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas, reserved 1 1/4 cups liquid, turkey meat, collards, hot sauce, and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice with Cornbread Croutons and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note