This is a lite quick healthy and delicious salad. I have made this several times since it was published. I highly recommend it.
Hoppin' John Salad
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Chill: 2 Hours
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook peas and 1 tsp. salt in water to cover in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, 30 minutes or until tender; drain.
- 2. Whisk together lemon juice, next 4 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Stir in peas, rice, celery, parsley, and mint until blended. Cover and chill 2 hours. Season with salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This