My family loved this and it will be a new staple. I decided to scrape off the cumin before mixing everything together. Within 3 days I have been asked for the recipe by 4 people and my mother has been asked by someone since serving it yesterday ;) Absolutely fresh and delicious - and a GREAT substitute for traditional Hoppin' John. Thank you!
Hoppin' John Salad
Savor a salad version of the traditional Southern black-eyed pea and rice dish that is often served on New Year's Day to ensure good luck in the coming year.
Yield: makes 7 cups
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Garnish: fresh chopped parsley
- Dice first 4 ingredients. Combine diced vegetables, peas, and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine vinegars in a small bowl, and whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream, blending well. Add to vegetable mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill 3 to 4 hours. Stir in bacon. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This