Hoppin' John Salad
Photo: Tina Evans; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
The mint in this Southern black-eyed pea-and-rice salad makes it exceptionally original.
Yield: 6 cups
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped purple onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh chervil or parsley
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine peas, rice, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place herbs and garlic on a cutting board, and sprinkle evenly with salt; finely chop herbs and garlic. Sprinkle over rice mixture, and stir gently.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, and pepper; stir into rice mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads