loved it even more the next day after it chilled in fridge....next time I made it I made it as a salad and served it over artisan baby greens and used an Italian dressing in lieu of the vinegar and olive oil...got rave reviews from my bridge club
Hoppin' John Parfaits
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Southern Living
Total: 30 Minutes
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 (15.8-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- 3. Sauté onion and jalapeño pepper in hot drippings 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned; stir in black-eyed peas and 1 cup water. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- 4. Stir together tomato and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Layer black-eyed pea mixture, hot cooked rice, and tomato mixture in 12 (7-oz.) glasses. Top with cheese and crumbled bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note