- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 (15.8-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese
How to Make It
Prepare rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
Sauté onion and jalapeño pepper in hot drippings 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned; stir in black-eyed peas and 1 cup water. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
Stir together tomato and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Layer black-eyed pea mixture, hot cooked rice, and tomato mixture in 12 (7-oz.) glasses. Top with cheese and crumbled bacon.