- 1 bacon slice, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 dried chipotle pepper or ancho chile, halved and seeded
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Hot sauce
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until fat renders. Drain bacon on paper towels; reserve 1 tsp. bacon drippings in pan. Return bacon to pan. Add onion, and cook 4 minutes. Add peas, broth, dried pepper, and 2 cups water; season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until peas are just tender (almost al dente) and about 2 cups of liquid remain. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in rice and okra. Cover and simmer over low heat about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Do not remove the lid during this part of cooking.
Remove pan from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Uncover and discard chile. Fluff with a fork; add green onions and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with hot sauce.