Hoppin' John Hush Puppies
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Annette Joseph
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- Peanut oil
- 1 (15-oz.) can seasoned field peas and snaps, drained and rinsed (about 1 cup)*
- 1 cup yellow self-rising cornmeal mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped country ham
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, light green parts only
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Tomato-Corn Relish
- 1. Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a large, heavy skillet or Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 350°.
- 2. Meanwhile, stir together field peas and next 11 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 3. Scoop pea mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls, in batches, and drop into hot oil. Fry 3 to 4 minutes or until hush puppies are golden brown. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Serve with relish.
- *1 (15.5-oz.) can seasoned black-eyed peas may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads