1. Simmer broth in a large saucepan. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan; add rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir about 2 minutes or until rice turns translucent. Reduce heat to medium, and add about 1/2 cup hot broth, stirring until liquid is absorbed. Repeat procedure with remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Cook 25 minutes or until rice is cooked but firm.
2. Cook peas according to package directions; drain. Add peas, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 7 ingredients to rice, and stir until thoroughly mixed.
3. Form 1/3 cup mixture into a 2-inch round cake about 3/4 inches thick. Repeat to make about 11 more cakes.
4. Place breadcrumbs on a plate, and roll cakes to coat. Shake off excess breadcrumbs.
5. Heat half of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half of the cakes 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain cakes on a paper towel, transfer to a baking sheet, and place in warm oven. Add remaining oil, and repeat process with remaining cakes. Serve warm topped with Grilled Tomato and Black-Eyed Pea Salsa.
*For testing purposes, we used Panko for Japanese breadcrumbs.