- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1/2 pound salt pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 hot red pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Sort and wash peas; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above peas; let soak overnight. Drain well.
- overnight. Drain well. Combine peas, salt pork, water, onion, and red pepper in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note