More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 397
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 65g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Sodium: 062mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 1/4 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small smoked ham hock (about 12 oz.)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Hot sauce, optional
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and celery. Cook, stirring often, until slightly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in peas and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, scraping up any cooked bits.
- Put ham in a slow cooker and pour pea mixture over it. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove ham and set aside. Season pea mixture with salt and pepper. When ham is cool enough to handle, shred it; discard fat, gristle and bone. Stir meat into peas and spoon over rice. If desired, sprinkle with hot sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes