This was good, but I used Jardine's Habanero sauce and that stuff was volcanic. There was no way to put 6 tablespoons....and we are Texans and are quite acclimated to hot food! I guess it depends on the brand! I pounded my chicken to an even thickness for even cooking. Marinated for two hours and grilled. Also prepared some onions and green/red bell peppers that I quickly sautéed in a cast iron skillet till a bit charred. Served on whole what tortillas with a dollop of light sour cream and the tomatoes. Was healthy yet filling. I made Tyler florence's pressure cooker black beans as a side, didn't put them inside the tortilla. Was a great meal.
Hoppin' Habanero-Lime Chicken Fajitas
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 582mg
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- About 6 tablespoons habanero chili hot sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 onions (1 lb. total), quartered lengthwise and peeled
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 8 flour tortillas (8-in. size)
- 1 can (about 1 lb.) black beans, heated and drained
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- Lime wedges
- 1. In a 1-gallon zip-lock plastic bag, combine lime juice, tequila, oil, cumin, oregano, 6 tablespoons hot sauce, and garlic. Add chicken and onions, seal, and chill at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Combine tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce; set aside.
- 3. Oil a barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or gas grill on high heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds). Lift onions from marinade and place on grill. Close lid on gas grill. Cook onions for 3 minutes, turn, cook a couple more minutes, then turn over and baste with marinade.
- 4. Lift chicken from marinade and place on grill; close gas grill. Turn and baste chicken and onions occasionally until onions are soft and browned and meat is no longer pink in thickest part (cut to test), about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken and onions to a board and keep warm.
- 5. Heat tortillas on grill, turning once, until softened and lightly speckled brown, 30 to 60 seconds.
- 6. Slice chicken crosswise. Place portions of chicken, onions, and beans in tortillas. Top with tomatoes, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime. Fold up bottom of tortillas, then fold in sides.
- Nutritional analysis per fajita.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes