This recipe epitomizes summer in my household. It's a family favorite and one my kids always request before heading back to college. I only use watermelon...it's amazing how wonderful it tastes with the honey mustard dressing and chicken. My mouth's watering just thinking about it.
Hoover's Picnic Salad With Honey-Mustard Dressing
More From Southern Living
Chill: 4 Hours
- 2 skinned and boned chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 8 thick-cut bacon slices
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups seeded and cubed watermelon, cantaloupe, or honeydew melon
- Honey-Mustard Dressing
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
- Butterfly chicken breasts by making a lengthwise cut horizontally through breasts to within 1/2 inch of other side. Open breasts, and sprinkle evenly with sliced basil; place between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap. Flatten chicken to 1/2-inch thickness using a cast-iron skillet or meat mallet.
- Stir together mayonnaise, milk, garlic, 2 teaspoons pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish; add chicken. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Cook bacon slices in a large cast-iron skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Add oil to drippings in skillet, and heat to 350°, stirring and scraping to release browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Combine flour, remaining 2 teaspoons black pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Scrape and discard excess marinade from chicken. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken is done.
- Divide lettuce evenly between each of 2 serving plates. Top each with 1 cup melon, and drizzle with desired amount of Honey-Mustard Dressing. Cut chicken into thin slices, and place evenly on top of melon. Sprinkle with bacon, and garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This