Honeyed Apple-Cranberry Fried Pies
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cook first 5 ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool completely, and drain.
- Roll piecrusts to 12-inch circles; cut each crust into 9 (4-inch) circles.
- Spoon 1 level tablespoon fruit mixture onto half of each pastry circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over fruit mixture, pressing edges to seal. Crimp edges with a fork dipped in flour.
- Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large heavy skillet; heat to 350°. Fry pies, in batches, 2 minutes on each side. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and sprinkle over hot pies.
- *Thawed frozen cranberries or dried cranberries may be substituted for fresh cranberries.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note