Notes: Buy a honeydew melon or piece weighing about 3 1/2 pounds. In the freezer sorbet gets very hard. To serve, thaw partially, break into chunks, and beat into a slush with a mixer or food processor.
This recipe goes with Sparkling Float
More From Sunset
- Calories: 71
- Calories from fat: 1.3%
- Protein: 0.5g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 9.9mg
- About 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel (green part only)
- About 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 1/2 cups diced (about 1/2 in.) honeydew melon
- 1. In a bowl, mash 1/3 cup sugar and lime peel with a spoon to release oils. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir 1/2 cup lime juice into sugar mixture. Pour mixture through a fine strainer into a blender or food processor; discard lime peel.
- 3. Add melon, a portion at a time, and whirl until smooth. Return purée to bowl. Taste, and if desired, add more sugar and lime juice. Nest bowl in ice and stir often until mixture is cold, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Pour chilled purée into an ice cream maker (1-qt. or larger capacity). Freeze according to manufacturer's directions until sorbet is firm to scoop, dasher is hard to turn, or machine stops.
- 5. Serve, or freeze airtight.
- Firming and Storing Ice Cream:
- To get frozen desserts hard enough to scoop onto a cone, or to store them, transfer when frozen to an airtight container and put in the freezer at least 3 hours or up to 1 week.
- If freezing with ice and salt, leave the frozen dessert in ice and salt up to 3 hours.
- For best flavor and texture, serve frozen desserts within a week. On longer standing, icy crystals develop.
- Nutritional analysis per 1/2 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Honeydew Sorbet Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Ice Cream/Sherbet
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, No-Cook
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor, Ice-Cream Maker
- OCCASION: July 4th, Labor Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Sunset