A wonderful cool green salad for hot weather. The marinade is delightfully sweet and tart. I serve the salad in bowls with plenty of dressing, don't use the butter lettuce. I prefer to reduce the diced celery by one half, and I frequently don't use the chopped chives.
Honeydew Relish Salad
Honeydew melon, cucumber, grapes, and celery make a beautiful green salad. But it's a simple dressing of honey, white wine vinegar, and mustard seeds that "pickles" and elevates these ordinary ingredients into a sweet-tart masterpiece.
Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 104
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 261mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cubed or balled honeydew melon pieces
- 1 cup finely diced peeled English cucumber
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup halved seedless green grapes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped (optional)
- 1. In a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan, combine vinegar, honey, 1/4 cup water, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and salt. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, then boil over high heat, stirring often, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 2 minutes longer. Let cool.
- 2. In a salad bowl, combine vinegar mixture, honeydew, cucumber, diced celery, and grapes. Cover and chill, stirring occasionally to blend flavors, at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- 3. Stir in celery leaves and chives. If using butter lettuce leaves, arrange on plates and spoon salad over them.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This