I loved this salad! Kale was never my favorite, but I could not stop eating it. I did leave out the ichimi togarashi because I had none. While making this, I was concerned about the amount of lemon juice, but it was perfect! I will be making this on a regular basis.
Shaved Honeycrisp Apple and Kale Salad
For such a simple, fast recipe, this salad--from chef-partner Steven Redzikowski of Oak at Fourteenth, in Boulder, CO--packs a surprising amount of complexity and flavor. Ichimi togarashi, a Japanese ground red pepper, really makes it pop.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 179
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 229mg
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 cups thinly sliced kale
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped candied almonds
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Ichimi togarashi*
- 1. Whisk together oil, zest, and juice in a medium bowl. Add kale, cheese, and almonds, then toss to coat.
- 2. Cut sides off apple into 4 pieces, leaving the core. Slice the apple pieces thinly with a mandoline or a knife. Add to salad and toss to coat. Season with salt, pepper, and ichimi togarashi.
- *Find at Asian markets or online.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note