Honey-Whole Wheat Bread
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 156
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 123mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces), divided
- 2 cups bread flour (about 9 1/2 ounces)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (about 9 1/2 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water in a small bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine 1% milk, dry milk, oil, honey, and salt in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until thoroughly warmed and dry milk dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Stir yeast mixture into milk mixture.
- Lightly spoon 2 cups all-purpose flour, bread flour, and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place 2 cups all-purpose flour, bread flour, and whole wheat flour in a large bowl; stir with a whisk to combine. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 55 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Divide dough in half. Working with one portion of dough at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), roll portion into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining portion of dough. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake loaves at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325° (do not remove loaves from oven); bake 50 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Honey-Whole Wheat Bread Recipe at a Glance