Prep and Cook Time: about 50 minutes. Notes: To toast the sesame seeds, shake them often in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Promptly remove from pan. You can store these bars airtight for up to 2 days.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 201
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 78mg
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups toasted sesame seeds (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat oil, sugar, eggs, 1/3 cup honey, and 1 1/2 teaspoons orange peel until smooth and well blended.
- 2. In another bowl, mix all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, salt, and sesame seeds; stir or beat into oil mixture until well blended. Spread batter evenly in a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- 3. Bake in a 375° oven until center springs back when lightly touched and top is richly browned, 18 to 20 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix melted butter, remaining 1/2 cup honey, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel until smooth. With a wooden skewer, pierce warm baked bar at 1/2-inch intervals. Pour honey mixture evenly over the top.
- 5. Let cool at least 10 minutes, then cut into 24 bars. Let cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note