One word. Tasteless. The burger part has potential and the toppings definitely helped, but the actual patty is in need of alot more flavor. I even added in Sriracha but that only helped a bit. Maybe some chili powder or cumin would help and some fresh jalapenos on top? I will make again, but with some added ingredients.
Hominy-Pinto Burgers with Roasted Poblano Chiles
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 475
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 18.8g
- Carbohydrate: 71.5g
- Fiber: 11g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 864mg
- Calcium: 234mg
- 2 poblano chiles
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup masa harina, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium salsa
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Preheat broiler.
- Place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 3 inches from heat 8 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning after 6 minutes. Place in a heavy-duty plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and discard skins. Cut each chile lengthwise into 4 strips; discard seeds.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Place onion mixture, salt, beans, and hominy in a food processor; pulse until coarsely ground. Combine bean mixture and 1/2 cup masa in a medium bowl. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place remaining 1/4 cup masa in a shallow dish; dredge patties in masa.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn patties over. Top each patty with 3 tablespoons cheese; cook 4 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and salsa in a small bowl. Spread 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture on top half of each bun. Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each serving with 2 pepper strips. Cover with tops of buns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hominy-Pinto Burgers with Roasted Poblano Chiles Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes