The Homestead Fried Chicken
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half, divided
- 4 whole chicken breasts, split, boned, and skinned
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 medium-size sweet potatoes, cooked, pared, and sliced
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 8 hot cooked waffles
- 8 slices hot cooked country ham
- Combine first 3 ingredients; mix well, and set aside.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons half-and- half evenly over chicken breasts; dredge in flour mixture. Place 4 chicken breast halves in 1/2 cup melted butter in a large skillet; cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken breast halves. Reserve pan drippings in skillet. Place chicken in a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes
- Place sweet potatoes in a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes. Stir in bananas.
- Add 1 tablespoon flour to reserved drippings in skillet; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add remaining 1 cup half-and-half and syrup; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Arrange waffles on a platter. Top each with a ham slice, a chicken breast half, and candied sweet potatoes and bananas. Serve with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes