Homemade Vegetable-Beef Soup
- 1 pound lean beef for stewing, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice (optional)
- 5 medium carrots, scraped and sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Brown meat in shortening in a large Dutch oven. Add water, tomatoes, onion, celery, salt, pepper, and brown rice, if desired; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 hours. Add carrots and potatoes; stir well. Cover and cook over medium heat an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls; serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This