Homemade Mincemeat Pie
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, chopped apples
- 2 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Double-Crust Pastry
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine first 15 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; stir well. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes. Add beef; cook an additional 15 minutes. Cool.
- Divide pastry into 4 equal portions. Roll one portion of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness, and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Repeat procedure with a second portion of pastry.
- Spoon half of mincemeat mixture into each pastry shell.
- Roll third portion of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 3/4- inch wide strips, and arrange in lattice design over filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush pastry with 1 tablespoon whipping cream; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Repeat procedure with remaining portion of pastry.
- Bake pies at 350° for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note