Homemade Mac 'n Cheese
This is my mother-in-law's famous mac 'n cheese recipe. Kids (and adults) LOVE it! Be sure to shred your own cheese for the best result.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) pasta- we like shells, elbow macaroni, or wheels
- 1 pound(s) sharp white (or yellow) cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup(s) butter
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 4 cup(s) milk
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9in pan (sometimes I use a 10x10 pan instead).
- 2. Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- 3. Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour, salt, pepper, and onion powder and stir until it forms a paste.
- 4. Add milk and bring to a boil. Let boil for one minute or until sauce thickens.
- 5. Remove from heat and add cheese (save a couple of handfuls for topping). Stir until cheese melts.
- 6. Combine cheese sauce with pasta and pour into prepared pan. Top with remaining cheese.
- 7. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KLMcNelis and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note