"BOOKMARKS Putting Up Fruit: Recipes for canning, drying and freezing" by Michael Hastings. Recipe from "Put 'em Up! Fruit" by Sherri Brooks Vinton. Winston-Salem Journal: Wednesday, August 28, 2013. You can substitute your own favorites for the additions. Feel free to add more, if you like. Coconut shreds or flakes, more dried fruit or nuts, or even chocolate nibs, once the mix has cooled.
- 1 teaspoon(s) neutral-flavored vegetable oil, such as organic canola
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup(s) honey
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 cup(s) rolled oats
- 1 cup(s) Dried Apple Dice
- 1/2 cup(s) dried fruit, such as cranberries, raisins, or currants
- 1 cup(s) nuts and seeds, such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds or a combination
- 1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with the oil.
- 2. Combine the sugar, juice, honey, cinnamon, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- 3. Put the oats in a medium bowl and pour in the sugar mixture, stirring to coat the oats evenly. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- 4. In the same medium bowl, combine the dried apples, other dried fruit, and nuts and seeds. Add the toasted oats and stir to combine. Return to the baking sheet and bake for another 20 minutes, stirring once. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note