This is a terrific recipe - well worth the time if you enjoy ginger ale. The only change I made was to simmer 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes & not wait until it was thick since the thinner syrup blended better with the club soda.
Homemade Ginger Ale
More From Allyou
Stand: 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 212
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- 1 4- to 5-inch piece fresh ginger (about 6 oz.), peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 liters seltzer or club soda, chilled
- Thinly sliced lemon for garnish, optional
- 1. Combine fresh ginger and sugar in bowl of a food processor. Process until ginger is finely ground. Transfer to a large saucepan, add lemon juice and stir in 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring. Reduce heat slightly and simmer until thick and syrupy, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and cool. (You should have about 2 cups.) Syrup can be made up to 2 weeks in advance. Keep tightly covered and refrigerated.
- 2. Just before serving, fill 8 tall glasses with crushed ice. Pour about 1/4 cup of chilled ginger syrup into each glass. Fill with chilled seltzer and serve right away, garnished with lemon slices, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Homemade Ginger Ale Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Beverages