Homemade Fresh Sauerkraut
Community Recipe from
- 7 head(s) Cabbage-large
- 1 container(s) Kosher salt
- Shred heads of cabbage, add salt and layer in large container. Let water come out for at least an hour. Pack tightly in a 16 gallon crock. Get large plastic bag (we use heavy duty garbage bags) put enough water in bag so when place on cabbage in crock it air seals the entire top. Secure bag with twist tie Let set for up to 6 weeks to process. You can check as frequently as you like for the "sour" flavor you desire. Use for your favorite dishes when it is to your desired taste. You can leave in crock for a couple months if in cool place.
- If need extra brine-1 1/2 tablespoons salt to 1 quart of water.
- Bring sauerkraut to a slow simmer (185 to 210 degrees). Pack in hot jars tightly with 1/2 inch head space. Boil bath as follows: 20 min. for quarts and 15 minutes for pints.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by DeLaneMolnar and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Homemade Fresh Sauerkraut Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
More Recipes for Main Dishes