This is amazing soup! But am I missing something? We ended up adding water. Is it assumed that you add water according to the concentrated chicken stock directions? If so, we ended up adding only half the amount of water as called for making a very creamy and delicious taste.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Heather Chadduck Hillegas
More From Southern Living
Total: 25 Minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 (8-oz.) packages fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 (1-oz.) containers home-style concentrated chicken stock (from a 4.66-oz. package)
- 1. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, and sauté 10 to 12 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Transfer to a bowl.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium. Melt remaining 5 Tbsp. butter in Dutch oven. Whisk in flour until smooth; whisk 1 minute. Gradually whisk in cream and next 2 ingredients. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in mushrooms. Use immediately, or cool completely. Freeze in 1 1/4-cup portions in plastic freezer bags. Thaw before using.
- Note: We tested with Knorr Homestyle Concentrated Stock.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note