These easy homemade biscuits require just three ingredients: shortening, self-rising flour, and milk.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 12 Minutes
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 3 or 4 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2-inch round cutter, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 475° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sour Cream Biscuits: Substitute 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream for 2/3 cup milk. Proceed as directed.
- Ham-and-Swiss Cheese Biscuits: Stir 2/3 cup finely chopped ham and 2/3 cup finely chopped Swiss cheese into the flour and shortening mixture; add milk, and proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note