Made these for Christmas for my family and everyone loved them. They have requested the recipe. I will be making them again with minor adjustments. I will reduce the brown sugar to 1/4 of a cup and use 3 cups of waters.
Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 5 bacon slices, diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen butterbeans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1. Cook bacon and onion in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in butterbeans and butter until butter is melted and beans are thoroughly coated. Stir in 12 cups water.
- 2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 hours or until beans are very tender and liquid is thickened and just below top of beans. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Home-Style Lima Beans: Substitute 1 (16-oz.) package frozen baby lima beans for butterbeans. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This