I agree with pamofpenna. While this recipe consists of the ingrediants found in most Hollandaise Sauces, the recipe was fairly vague in cooking techniques. It turned into a buttery mess that went down the garbage disposal. I think enhancement on the cooking techniques of this recipe would benefit anyone who has never made Hollandaise Sauce before. YouTube has a great video by Alton Brown that is eggselent in assisting anyone who wants to venture off into this sauce.
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 63
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 0.3g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 31mg
- Calcium: 5mg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook 5 minutes or until completely melted. Carefully skim solids off the top with a spoon; discard solids. Slowly pour remaining butter out of pan, leaving remaining solids in pan; discard solids.
- 2. Combine egg yolks and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk until foamy. Place pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Gradually add 1/4 cup clarified butter, about 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a whisk until each addition is incorporated and mixture is thick. Reserve remaining clarified butter for another use.
- 3. Stir juice and salt into butter mixture, whisking until blended.
- Béarnaise Sauce: Prepare recipe through step 2. Omit juice. Combine 3 tablespoons dry white wine, 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallots, and 3 tarragon sprigs in a heavy saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain through a sieve into butter mixture. Stir in salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon. Yield: about 2/3 cup (serving size: about 1 tablespoon).
- Calories 63; Fat 6.5g (sat 3.9g, mono 0.4g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.5g; Carb 0.2g; Fiber 0g; Chol 57mg; Iron 0.1mg; Sodium 32mg; Calc 5mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments