Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup gumbo and 1/2 cup rice)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 1.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Carbohydrate: 40.9g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 854mg
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Calcium: 61mg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 pound turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 2 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen vegetable gumbo mix, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until very brown, stirring every 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp; reserve shells. Pour 3 1/2 cups chicken broth into a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add reserved shrimp shells; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage and chicken; sauté 7 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, vegetable gumbo mix, and strained broth.
- Place browned flour in a bowl. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth to flour; add to chicken and vegetable mixture, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Skim froth from top of gumbo as necessary.
- Add salt and next 4 ingredients; simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve gumbo over rice; sprinkle with green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note