Holiday Brisket with Savory Onion Jus
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive or vegetable oil
- 6 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 boneless beef brisket (about 3 pounds)
- 1 3/4 cup(s) SwansonÂ® Beef Broth or SwansonÂ® Beef Stock
- 1/2 cup(s) orange juice
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 28-ounce can(s) whole peeled tomatoes
- • Heat the oil in an 8-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add onions and squash and cook over medium heat until they're tender-crisp. Remove the vegetables from the saucepot.
- • Season the beef as desired. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the beef to the saucepot and cook until it's well browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the saucepot. Pour off any fat.
- • Add the broth, orange juice, wine, brown sugar and tomatoes to the saucepot and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Return the beef to the saucepot. Cover and cook for 2 hours.
- • Return the vegetables to the saucepot. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the beef is fork-tender.
- • Remove the beef to a cutting board. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve the beef with the vegetables and sauce.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note