This was really good. DD isn't a big fan of flank steak (too chewy) and asked that I use the marinade on chicken next time. I did add some minced garlic to the marinade and kept the meat in it for about 5 hours before grilling. Served with the cucumber salad (delish) but with jasmine rice instead of the wontons.
Hoisin Flank Steak with Asian Cucumber Salad
Enjoy a quick steak dinner infused with fragrant Asian flavor. Spiced wonton chips that bake while the steak rests are an easy accompaniment.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 24.6g
- Carbohydrate: 11.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 501mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups thinly sliced seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup matchstick-cut carrot
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Brush steak with half of hoisin mixture. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 6 minutes. Turn steak over; brush with remaining hoisin mixture. Broil 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.
- 3. Combine cucumber and remaining ingredients in a bowl; toss to combine. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve with cucumber salad.
- Spiced wonton chips: Thaw 8 wonton wrappers, if frozen. Cut wrappers in half diagonally; brush tops of wrappers evenly with 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil. Combine 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle wrappers evenly with five-spice powder mixture. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes or just until crisp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes