Hoisin Beef Spring Rolls
More From Coastal Living
Marinate: 6 Hours
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound trimmed sirloin beef, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 ounces cellophane noodles or bean threads
- 8 to 10 dried rice paper wrappers or spring roll skins
- 1 head red leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- Hoisin-Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1. Place garlic in a blender; blend until minced. Add ginger and next 5 ingredients. Blend until smooth. Place beef in a large plastic zip-top storage bag; pour in garlic mixture, seal bag, and chill 6 hours or overnight.
- 2. Remove beef from marinade, discarding marinade. Pat meat dry. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Sear beef 3 minutes on each side or until crisp and dark golden brown. Transfer to a cutting board, and let rest 10 minutes. Slice across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick strips.
- 3. Soak cellophane noodles in hot water according to package directions.
- 4. Fill a shallow pie plate or pan with warm water. Dampen a kitchen towel with water, wring dry, and place on a work surface. Slide 1 rice paper wrapper into water, and submerge for several seconds or until it begins to soften. Remove from water, and place on towel. Place a lettuce leaf at the base of the circle. Top with a pinch of cellophane noodles, several mango slices, cucumber strips, carrot strips, and 1 beef strip. Carefully wrap roll from the bottom up, keeping the roll as tight as possible. After 1 complete roll, place several cilantro leaves and mint leaves on the wrapper. Pull in the sides of the wrapper (like a burrito), and continue to wrap until roll is secure. Place on a very lightly greased platter, and cover with plastic wrap; repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Slice rolls in half diagonally, and serve immediately with Hoisin-Peanut Dipping Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note