Time consuming, but worth the effort to wow your guests - eat these in one bite and they are a POP of flavor in your mouth. The 'fishiness' of the caviar is offset perfectly by the bright burst of lemon, crisp carrot, and crunchy rice cracker. A delectable morsel.
Hiziki Caviar with Lemon Tofu Cream and Chives
Look for hiziki, a black ribbonlike seaweed, in Asian markets; substitute dried nori seaweed sheets if hiziki isn't available. If your knife skills are rusty, preshredded carrots will do nicely for the garnish. Use the leftover tofu cream as a dip for crudités. Admittedly, this recipe isn't quick, but if you have the time and inclination, it's quite impressive.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 40
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 40g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 127mg
- Calcium: 16mg
- 1 ounce dried hiziki seaweed
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 1 lemon
- 48 sesame-flavored rice crackers
- 1/2 cup Lemon Tofu Cream
- 48 pieces (1-inch) sliced fresh chives
- 48 pieces matchstick-cut carrot
- To prepare caviar, place seaweed in a large bowl; cover with hot water to 2 inches above seaweed. Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain. Rinse with cold water, and drain. Place seaweed in a food processor; process until minced.
- Heat oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add seaweed; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2/3 cup water, soy sauce, and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 6 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- To prepare remaining ingredients, peel lemon, and cut lengthwise into 6 wedges. Cut each wedge crosswise into 8 pieces to yield 48 triangles.
- Place 1 teaspoon seaweed caviar on each cracker. Place Lemon Tofu Cream in a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a small hole in 1 corner of bag; pipe about 1/2 teaspoon tofu cream on each cracker. Place 1 lemon triangle, 1 chive piece, and 1 carrot piece on each cracker.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hiziki Caviar with Lemon Tofu Cream and Chives Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: Asian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Tofu/Soy, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes Like This