Highlands Baked Grits
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Annette Joseph
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 55 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Carbohydrate: 28.8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 456mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup uncooked yellow stone-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 ounce country ham, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Hot sauce
- Mushroom Topping
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh mushrooms, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 2 ounces country ham, cut into thin strips
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Prepare Grits: Bring salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in grits. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring often, 45 minutes to 1 hour or until grits are thick. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 Tbsp. butter, 1/4 cup cheese, and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Stir in egg until blended.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Divide grits among 4 (4- to 6-oz.) buttered ramekins; place ramekins in a 13- x 9-inch pan, and add hot water to pan halfway up sides of ramekins. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes or until tops begin to brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, prepare Sauce: Combine wine and next 5 ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 Tbsp. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream. Gradually whisk in cubed butter, 1 cube at a time, whisking until blended after each addition. Remove from heat.
- 5. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a small saucepan. Stir in cheese and lemon juice. Season with kosher salt, white pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Keep warm.
- 6. Prepare Mushroom Topping: Sauté mushrooms and next 2 ingredients in hot oil 3 to 4 minutes or until mushrooms are just tender.
- 7. Unmold grits onto serving plates, and serve with sauce and mushroom topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch