- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat or white bread
- Butter or margarine, softened
- Pimiento-stuffed or ripe olives (optional)
How to Make It
Combine chopped chicken, mayonnaise, egg, celery, salt, and pepper; mix well. Spread 1/3 cup chicken salad evenly on one side of 6 slices of bread. Place the remaining 6 bread slices over the chicken salad to make a sandwich.
Spread butter on outside of top slice of bread; invert sandwiches onto a hot skillet or griddle. Cook until bread is browned. Spread butter on ungrilled side of bread; carefully turn sandwiches, and cook until bread is browned.
Secure sandwiches with wooden picks; cut crosswise into 2 pieces. Serve hot. Garnish with whole olives, if desired.