It's the morning after and my house still stinks! Within 15 minutes of putting the turkey in the oven I could hear the sizzling. Seeing that it was browning very quickly, I tented some foil over it. It sizzled and smoked almost the entire time, to the point where every smoke detector in my house was going off. While the turkey itself was tasty, moist, and cooked through, it wasn't worth the smokey side effect.
High-Heat Roast Turkey
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 377
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 67.6g
- Carbohydrate: 3.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 228mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 421mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 1 (12-pound) fresh turkey
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups Make-Ahead Gravy
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Trim excess fat. Combine onion, carrot, celery, rosemary, sage, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Stuff body cavity with onion mixture. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Sprinkle turkey with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place turkey, breast side up, on a roasting rack in a roasting pan; pour 2 cups water into pan.
- Bake at 450° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Remove turkey from oven; let stand at least 30 minutes before carving. Discard onion mixture and skin.
- Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner. Drain drippings into a bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Place the roasting pan over two burners on medium heat. Add the drippings and Make-Ahead Gravy, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until gravy mixture is reduced to 3 cups, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This