Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Jan Gautro
These old-fashioned Hermits are button-like cookies flavored with cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and lemon extract and topped with a raisin.
Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup shortening, melted
- Additional raisins
- Combine sugar and beaten egg in a large mixing bowl, beating well. Stir in flavorings and 1/2 cup raisins.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves in a small mixing bowl; add to sugar mixture, stirring well. Stir in shortening.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheets; press a raisin in center of each cookie. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note