- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Garnishes: Fresh thyme and sage sprigs
How to Make It
Lightly brown orzo in oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove orzo from saucepan, and set aside.
Add chicken broth, water, and wild rice to saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in orzo, long-grain rice, and remaining ingredients. Return to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until moisture is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.